Tracks now done, you can see how much filling and sanding is needed on the second run. Moving onto the hull & some bolt details have been added to the rear engine deck & the etched screens fitted. The turret went together well although the mantlet is a very loose fit. I'll have to glue it in position later. Looking at the model the surfaces are very flat and clean, something that will be very apparent under paint so I will possibly apply some Mr surfacer then sand back to try and replicate the look of rolled steel and give it a small bit of texture.
I've spent some time on the turret stippling on some mr surfacer then once dry lightly sanding it down. This has added some very subtle variations in the armour which should show up under paint. I'm not bothering with the hull as weathering and pigments will add enough variation to that. The gun barrel is all made up and very nice it looks too, suitably different to the 120mm I think. Again though a sloppy fit in the mantlet so CA will be used to secure in place. The side stowage rack takes an age to clean up and is quite fragile so care needs to be taken. Smoke dischargers are nice apart from another sinkhole on the top of each one! I've also used some spare track and mounted this on the racking as per my refs, this adds a bit more interest to an essentially very clean tank profile.
The turret's taking shape nicely with a few more improvements and adding missing details. I've changed the fuel can for a spare metal type as the kits supplies you with the scepter plastic type can. I know these started to get issued during the 80's but don't know exactly when so used my refs and decided on a metal one. The gunners sight had the clear inner parts modified so I could fit after painting then some weld beads added using stretched sprue. The commander's cupola needs a fair bit of clean up and three lifting eyes added. I used lead wire wrapped around a pin to make them. Finally the crosswind sensor on the rear of the turret was binned and a new one made from brass tube. It's not 100% but way better than the kit one. Also the mount needed yet another annoying sink mark or should I say gaping hole filled with putty!
Cheers chaps, turret is now done apart from antennas and stowage. I've got some nice antennas on the way to me so will fit once they arrive. I'll now finish off the hull and try and fit the side skirts as a oner instead of the six parts in the kit. That way it should make painting and fitting later easier.
Beautiful work on that turret. Great application regarding the texturing!
"You watch the world exploding every single night Dancing in the sun a newborn in the light, Brothers and their fathers joining hands and make a chain The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again......" ------"The Wicker Man", by Iron Maiden
Managed to get the side skirts sorted and these are now in two sections per side which will fit together nicely once painting & weathering is complete. A touch of detailing here using plastic strip & bolts plus the final bits for the hull and she's almost ready for a wash and primer. I've got some new antenna mounts on the way so now I'll sort out some stowage and a couple of figures.