Post by booboo on Dec 23, 2020 0:37:20 GMT
I started building this in November after running out of primer supplies on another project. I had already built their Panther Ausf A so figured it would be of a similar engineered design. The colour of the plastic is a big improvement to me eyes. That original burgundy colour on the Panther was pretty hideous! I also used the meng Zimmerit on the Ausf A and we did not get along too well.
I planned to build an early G1 with Zimmerit and this time I figured I would try something else. On recommendation I went with Zimmerit by Monroe Perdu Studios www.monroeperdu.com/Zimmerit-Sets_c_18.html They are made from laser cut paper and are applied with white glue (PVA). The pattern is of the early type small square design and is well represented. Monroe advises not adding it to bare plastic so either a primer coat or base coat will need to be laid down first. This does cause a few minor issues in that you need to decide how much of the build you need to complete before any paint is applied.
Although Monroe makes it specifically for the Meng G1, as Meng allows for four different production vehicles the sheets do not come with any tool location cut outs. This does not present an issue as once you have selected the tank to be modelled and drilled holes for the appropriate tool brackets and hardware you then align the Zim sheets up to the bare panels. You then drill through the hardware location holes, offer up the brackets, mark around them and simply cut out the outlines on the laser cut paper. Whether you then paint the bare panels and add the Zim first or paint the completed kit and add them later is up to you. I went with the latter option. The patterns are a superb fit on the kit, and I doubt there will be much trimming required. The only issue I can foresee is conforming the paper to the curved section of the Kugelblende. Unlike the Atak Zim there is no resin Kugelblende or complete rear bins. The bin cut outs fit well so if need be I don’t think it will be too much of an issue to make my own Zim on the Kugelblende if I’m not happy with adhesion.
Zimmerit sheets dry fitted and progress so far
A little trimming around the early mantlet option was required