Thanks a lot chaps. Meanwhile the Panther received a coat of satin varnish, and I added some Archer Balkenkreuzen on the hull and turret numbers. Both come from older dry transfers I still had in the stash (prefer those over decals). Some touching up is needed, but if all goes well I take some photos tomorrow afternoon when I'm awake ^^
So, the Panther received it's dry transfers. I decided to add a Balkenkreuz on each side (one will be covered by a sheet of extra armor) and the turretnumbers where a bit inspired by the Tiger II company Tigers from the s.SS Pz.Abt.501 during the Battle of the Bulge. I still had an Archer set for the second company Tiger II's of that Abteilung (my first ever built model is Tiger '213' which currently sits at La Gleize, Belgium - turns out that was meant to be, I recently realized that '213' is also my anniversary ). So I decided to use the numbers 'O' and '4'. They worked out well. They aren't 100% straight, and up till a couple of years ago I would be fed up with it, but nowadays I know that these numbers were often field applied and not nearly as perfect as we tend to think. The 'o' on the right side of the turret will need to be touched up with some paint since I had to apply the transfer around a protruding detail.
Wouter - what do you mean your tiger 213 sits in Belgium?
Hi mate: Tiger II '213' of the Kampfgruppe Peiper is one of few surviving Tiger II's in modern times. It isn't mobile but it sits in front of a museum in a small town called La Gleize in the Ardennes, Belgium. It's quite an impressive beast to see in the flesh. It's actually the first model I built when I returned to the hobby a little over 10 years ago, it's not up to my modern standards though
@guy: Happpy Endings are always a good thing LOL
Thanks for comments chaps, and the Duvels, although, after 4 I would be quite drunk
Well, the Panther hasn't been forgotten. I've been working on and off on the Panther and often alternating with the 109.
Next step was a pinwash to all the details and nooks and crannies.
And after that I used the good old oil dot method to get some initial fading on the paintwork. This acts as a filter, toning down the camouflage and markings, as well as making them look more harmonised. These were blended in using a flat brush moistened a little in odourles thinner Besides acting as a filter, it also simulates rainmarks and dirt which dried when running of the sides. This dried for a couple of days, and after that I decided to add another round of fading using mainly yellow and white oil paints. These were applied to the upper parts of the sides to fade the paintwork. This simulates wear and fading from the sun and the weather. It sure looks the part Next: paint chipping
Wouts, excellent work with the oils on this! Looking forward to the next step in the weathering process.
"You watch the world exploding every single night Dancing in the sun a newborn in the light, Brothers and their fathers joining hands and make a chain The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again......" ------"The Wicker Man", by Iron Maiden