Once again, we kept busy and moved a lot of things forward this week. So much so that I scheduled another tour of the facilities earlier than expected!
All aboard the trams everyone and remember to keep your hands and feet inside at all times. This will be a good long tour.
As always, we'll start in the Hangar.
Here you can see that the F-117 got a dull coat on it:
I was going to keep it glossy, but then I realized that a dull coat would absorb more radar waves than a glossy coat. After that, we installed the landing gear, gear doors and bomb bay doors, as well as one Maverick:
Not a good angle for viewing all that so here's a better angle:
Finally I was ready to get this thing finished. Then I ran into a big issue....
I HATE THIS MASKING AGENT!!
When we tried to remove it from the canopy, it would not come off! It seemed to peel by layers, each of which seemed to be more sticky than the previous one. I took a wooden coffee stir and cut a chiseled end and used that to try and scrape all this stuff off. Even then, it stuck to the model! What a cluster! After I got all that off that I could, I took a cotton bud/Q-tip/whatever you want to call it; dipped it in alcohol and scrubbed the whole canopy, finally removing the last of the mask residue. I then brushed on some Pledge Future to clear the windows again and later re-painted a dull coat along the area around the canopy to bring it back into consistency with the rest of the plane. I can see in these pics we still have some touch up to do. Despite that, my USAF took delivery of this plane anyway.
Because of the tightness in the facility, I made an effort to get some more space by trying to organize things a bit. That's when I really got tired of this C-17-wannabe horse and the box it rode in on, cluttering up my hangar space! So, we set things aside and started on this by first glueing the wings in place:
This was a very poor fit. After nearly an hour of working it, this was the final result that I had to live with:
There's gonna be a lot of sanding and filling and repainting to do there...
When the wings were finally dry enough, we stepped back to find that every stinking wheel had broken off the landing gear struts:
We are going to get the decals on and the window masks off and possibly even the dull coat shot on this thing before I get to work fixing those wheels. Enough of that, time to work on something easy...
I chose the AH-56 Cheyenne to work on since that seemed to be the easiest so far. It was. We had applied some filler in the gaps I'd found and sanded down the steps:
After another coat of black primer, I saw it was looking great:
Certainly far better than the A-400...
Off she went to the spray booth to get her coat of Olive Drab:
Next we shot a dull coat on the Japanese U-125 since we had it out for the Stealth fighter already:
This bird then got her landing gear on as well. Sword does not give you very great attachment points to fasten these struts securely and firmly:
Here's a better shot of her stubby legs. They are holding her up quite nicely:
But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. All this time some of the main cabin windows had opened up while we were trying to mask them way back before paint was first shot. We just left them alone all this time.....until now. That's when we pushed them all the way in and used Micro Scale Window glue to make new windows. Those are the white ovals on the sides of the fuselage:
Finally we got the last of the landing gear bay doors and other detail parts on this bird, finishing all the assembly. After some touch up painting, she was delivered to my Japanese Air Force.
That completes the tour of the Hangar, now on to the Shipyards...
We've been keeping busy on the various naval projects going on here and are planning on laying the keel to a couple more projects soon. Meanwhile, this is what was done in the slipways this past week.
First of all, some of the paint on the side of the RAF Rescue Launch was pulled away earlier and so we masked it off and shot another coat of black on the side to fix it:
Once that was dry, she was looking good. We can now move forward on her soon:
Meanwhile in the next slipway, the final parts were installed on HMS Kelly, except for the ship's boats:
After some touch up painting and the addition of her boats, we were able to launch her and send her out on her shakedown cruise before being delivered to my British Navy.
That was a short trip through the Shipyards, and so we move on to the Motor Pool...
Here in the Motor Pool, things went fairly smoothly as well. We had gotten quite far on the Swedish Assault Gun so I wanted to get it further along as close to the paint stage as possible. We got the tracks installed first since they needed to be on before the fenders and casemate:
The individual track pieces on this model are only about a millimeter and a quarter long. Very tiny!
While they were drying, we got the main gun and rear stowage box installed on the casemate:
The kit includes a photo-etch piece for the perforated muzzle break on the end.. I'll have that done later once the P/E is annealed. A test fitting of the casemate on the hull shows some gaps that will need to be dealt with:
Time to let that set for a bit and show you our next projects. These next two got another coat of paint on them. First the British Bushmaster that needed a more solid coat of paint:
Then this Canadian Cadillac Gage was giving me the stinkeye for forgetting it for so long and so we pulled that over to the spray booth and shot the remaining OD from the Cheyenne project:
Finally, I got some more progress on my Russian models. They will not be shown here.
I hope to start getting Silly Putty applied to my one Russian vehicle and the Australian Bushmaster so the camouflage colors can be shot. Hopefully this coming week.
Thank you all for joining me on this latest tour! Comments are always welcome.