With things winding down on the puma & elefant builds it's time to get my juices flowing again with the takom 432 & accurate armour peak turret conversion. On this one I won't be using or having the interior visible which should make the build a lot quicker. I will eventually do another 432 with all the hatches open however.
I've already started working on the conversion set which is very simple and have removed parts and filled where needed as there are a few flaws that need sorting, pics of that tomorrow.
I've started work on the conversion set and so far have had to fill a few pin holes and sort out the miss cast turret hatch. this was curved in profile at the top and too short. Filler & superglue have built it up and now it's sanded to shape it now fits the hatch opening correctly. As I'm going for a closed up hull the hatch will be shut as well if I can get it to sit flush!
The turret periscopes are bloody awful and need re working to look half decent I think. The GPMG barrel is a waste of resin being just a blob and too short, luckily I have spares in the stash. You also get a new exhaust but the flap is cast closed so showing a running vehicle is not possible. It's also warped so I'll use the takom one. As you can tell I'm not overly impressed with this set, the detail is soft and there are quite a few flaws. Also the only new parts seem to be the hull roof and the decals. Everything else has come from AA's 432 kits or the saxon apc with peak turret. I'm glad I only paid £20 instead of £32 on the AA website.
I’m surprised at the poor quality AA kit Pete, I thought they had top stuff but maybe not then?
Good luck with it fella
So was I Steve, to be honest the last couple of conversion sets I've got from them have been very poorly cast but their accesories such as ammo cans, jerry cans etc are really good. The casting is just not as crisp as it used to be for some reason.
I've now got the aa hull top in place. It fitted pretty good but was a bit of a pain to glue as it's resin. I've also added a thin strip of plastic card to the sides , on the real thing this is quite noticeable but is not very well defined on the kit. It's something I noticed on the bulldog build but due to the extra armour I didn't fix it then. Simple to rectify and makes a big difference to the look of the model later on. The engine grills fit fine with just a little sanding here and there of the opening. They are just test fitted at the moment.
This will be a great conversion. Watching with interest.
"You watch the world exploding every single night Dancing in the sun a newborn in the light, Brothers and their fathers joining hands and make a chain The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again......" ------"The Wicker Man", by Iron Maiden
Tracks and wheels were tackled today, nothing here to catch you out just take your time with the tracks. I used my mini drill and burr to add some wear to the track pads and a knife was used to add wear to the rubber on the wheels. I've also been looking carefully at the takom kit and have been working out what versions of the basic vehicle you can build from it and also the bulldog kit, I'll be making a hit list soon.
Cheers fellas, the model is now ready for primer after tackling the turret scopes. I used plastic strip to get some definition and add a recess for the glass. Not the best but much better than the original versions. I also adapted the takom gimpy and added the extended muzzle from some thin tubing.