Thanks a lot gents ^^ And Boots: that Duvel is ordered lol
Well now, another update, already . I added some paintchips using Ammo Mig Matt Aluminium. I only added it in very limited quantities, because I don't think these planes were prone to a lot of paint chipping. After that I enhanced the exhaust stains and the oil stain on the bottom using Tamiya Brown to give it some more dimensional effect. Some of the edges of the fuselage plates received some additional post shading with this color as well. I feel that the effect is a tad strong in certain areas, but I might be able to tone that down somewhat with some more oils. At least, I hope so
And I finally managed to prime the droptank. But it will need some additional filling and sanding before I can continue painting that one, no photos yet though.
Not sure about that, although I ain't a football fan by far. I've seen Messi play at Camp Nou and the guy is spectacular
Chaps, thanks for the great comments, Duvel and Affligems aside, I felt sober enough to continue
I played a bit more with oils to enhance the bird. And after that I decided to remove the paint masks from the canopy. More on that later. Some areas I re-applied a sort-of oil pinwash. Some very subtle was streaking as well. And I added some grime under the exhausts. Here you can see the dirty, grimy stains under the exhaust (on top of the 'Vorsicht beim öffnen' text) The stains on the planes' belly were enhanced as well using oil paint. Note that I glued the fuel canister rack. I decided to make this less dirty - meaning that the rack wasn't always there. Quite the dirty underside, that plane must have been losing oil for quite some time . Some more streaking on the wings was done as well, but that's really subtle, not sure if that's even noticeable. And then. When I removed the masking tape from the canopy I noticed some haze on the inside of the windows, together with annoying dust particles...which weren't there when the cockpit was glued in place. I think the haze is residue from masking tape glue (I masked the insides as well so I could spray the inside color on the erm...inside in stead of outside). Apparantly it became much more visible when the canopy was glued in place (I didn't use ca glue, so it's not from the ca fumes) and maybe because of all the thinners I used it actived the glue remnants. Quite irritating but not much I can do about it. I won't remove the canopy again. Bummer. (For once I use the large version of the photo so you can notice the 'stain')
It still looks awesome Wouts. It's only because you pointed the stain out I noticed it.
thanks guys, and way too kind chap. The stain is hard to capture on photo, but when you look at it in the flesh it's quite there. And both on the left inside as the right inside of the canopy. Oh well, guess we'll live and learn. And otherwise, I make up a story that Jack and Rose had their first erotic moment in the cockpit of my G-6 in stead of in that car on board of titanic
Glad you like the fuel stains, thanks mate. And good one on the canopy stains!
I glued the fiddly bits on the underside of the wing in place (dunno what they are called or what they are for), they still need a bit of weathering. The running gear was weathered as well and glued into place. Not sure if the angle of the legs is right though, it seems to me the angle isn't correct. But hey, maybe I'm just nitpicking
Some more fiddly bits need to be added into place (like the antenna underneath the wing, the rigging and the antenna on top). The fuel canister is in the proces of painting right now too.
Well, I wasn't too sure but glad to read you guys think it's right. That makes me a lot more at ease. Thanks
And seems I'm on a roll lately Last update for today. The external fuel tank is the only part which I didn't start yet. After priming, colouring and sanding, repriming and colouring we were finally ready to continue. First of all the fuel tank got a primer coat of black Mr. Finishing primer 1500. Followed by a light coat of RLM76 Hellblau. That was done this afternoon. Normally I add a layer of varnish prior to the decal stage, but I wanted things to move on. It's quite risky, but nevertheless I took it. After the decals went on I brushed on some Decal Set and on one decal Sol. These products attacked the paintcoat a bit lightening it. Normally I would have been fed up with that, but in this case it had a welcome effect: the affected paint got lighter in some areas. Quite the good base for further chipping. After that I brushed on some paint chips using Ammo Mig Silver Grey. The darker insides of the chips got painted using Vallejo Black Red. And finally the fuel filler cap got a couple of thin coats of Vallejo Tan Yellow. I realize that these fuel tanks weren't really prone to much chipping (unless they were released and fell to the ground, but in that case it would be dented as well) but I like to give a tad more character. Hopefully I can give it a coat of varnish tomorrow to seal things, and after that it can be weathered to match the plane.
I've had the paint stain after decal solution was applied. I was watching a VMS video about decal application. They said to leave the paint at least 3 days to harden before applying the decals. I've only tried this once so far, which appeared to work fine . I will stick to this in the future as it seems good advice. The fuel tank does look good by the way.
Last Edit: Sept 25, 2021 18:35:11 GMT by PorcoRosso: VMS. NOT VLS! Sorry for the confusion. I've been drinking on an empty head