It's been another busy weekend, but that hasn't precluded any updates on the dio build. First up was to put some colour on the base surround. It was off to the local hardware store to grab a matt black rattle can. here's the end result.
Next step was to do the mud for the tank track ruts and position the body of the Tiger. This was my chance to use the VMS mud mix for the first time. It's a very easy process, using the 3 parts, the texture, the resin and the activator. I ended mixing a bit more than I needed, but at least i know how far it goes
Once the mud was mixed I laid it into the trank ruts up to the top. Then I took the tank body and pressed it into the mud mix and let it freestyle as it was pushed out of the rut. Next I added some of the mix around the tank tracks and on the front and rear guards. Once it's dried out fully I will do some additional finishing work. So, here's some pics
It's really good to see the dio coming together now and I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. Not far to go now.
Yeah, thanks bwilt. I meant is it now glued/stuck down on the base?
Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Oh the joys of the internet and the confusion around context! Yes, you're initial question was right, I used the mud mixture as the glue to fix the Tiger in position. I wanted it to look like the ground is saturated and the Tiger has come to a halt and it's sheer weight has created a mud bow wave.
I have the feeling Tommygun means stuck in the mud as in glued to the base ... as it is resin and the tank is left in it, the resin will harden and form a bond..
Looking really good, I like the way the mud is pushed out from under the track due to the weight of the tank!
Cheers. I've watched so builds on YT where they've created the mud wave once the tank is in position. I had the idea to cut out the ruts in the base to give the impression that of weight. Then I thought it would be more realistic to flood the ruts with the mud mixture and then push the tank in and create a natural expulsion of gooey mud.
The VMS mud has fully cured and is rock hard and anchored the Tiger into the dio base. It has a really nce grainy texture to it and looks good. Can't wait to work on the next part of the weathering. Here's some pics.